Auckland, this is home. I was born here, I grew up here and I couldn’t have wished for anything better.
It has a plethora of beauty whatever you’re looking for. Beaches, native bush with waterfalls, busy city or rolling hills. Everything (except snow) packed into this bustling town. Auckland is huge, compared to other major cities around the world, we definitely think size matters. However, even though its huge, its not over populated. Ok so more than a quarter of New Zealand’s entire population live here, it doesn’t feel crowded.
Auckland is a multicultural hub. Its the largest Polynesian city in the world, and I would guarantee there is someone here to represent every nation in the world. Its wonderful! Growing up with different cultures in my class, never a dull moment, especially with shared lunch days.
I have moved around a fair bit, living in Devonport, Sunnyvale, Titirangi, French Bay, Auckland CBD and Half Moon Bay. There was never a beach too far from home. I loved it everywhere though. How can you not? There is so much to see and do here its great! For instance, from Titirangi, Piha beach is a 20 minute drive. Black sands, rough coastline, surfers… what else can you wish for? This place is magic and will always be close in my heart. I may not like the black sand so much in summer though, bit sore on the feet.
Top suggestions for Auckland (from a locals perspective)
- Skytower – 360° view of the entire city. Take your camera, leave your fears behind.
- Piha beach – Take a towel, some snacks and plenty of sunscreen. Climb Lion rock with camera in hand
- Wynyard Quarter lunch – this is a fairly new area, a wide range of cafes/restaurants to chose to dine
- Mt Eden – if you want the stunning views, but don’t want to pay for a Skytower ticket. This is the place to go
- Waiheke Island – grab a ferry ticket and head to Waiheke. Wineries, archery, beaches, art trails. Its great!
- Rangitoto Island – contrast to Waiheke. This is a DOC site, but has a great track to the summit.
- Cornwall Park – pack a picnic, some music & a group of friends. The park is filled with olive trees for shade
- Long Bay – make sure you leave early to get a spot, this beach gets busy. But you will see why
- Queen Street – want to go shopping? You will find everything here and on the surrounding side streets
- Auckland Zoo – massive renovations has transformed this zoo to an animal home. Worthy of a day trip
- Titirangi Cafes – handy stop before heading to the Waitaks. My favourites, Hardware, Takahe and Elevation
- Kitekite falls – make sure you wear sturdy shoes, this easy hike has a lovely treat waiting for you
- Musick Point – Nice place to walk. There’s some stunning views of the harbour so take your camera